MARS’s success is not just about awards; it’s about teamwork, sharing knowledge, and the accomplishments of these students.” - Frank Devono, Superintendent, Monongalia County Schools.
Purpose: To ensure team growth and to allow the team to support itself and its local FLL program.
- Team has a total of mentors, including:
- Sponsor and partner representatives
- College students previously on a FIRST team
- Parents, including those whose children have graduated the team
- Half of MARS members are FLL graduates
- Sponsor support for the 2011-2012 season has exceeded $55,000, including 5 grants and over 14 sponsors
- In just 6 years, the team has grown from 8 founding members to 35 students
- Increase funding to $58,000 annually
- Maintain a student to mentor ratio of less than 3:1
Not-So-Fun Fact: In the last 10 years, 3 FRC teams have folded in West Virginia after only a few years of competition.